As we continue to develop over the next several years, Yu Ming is seeking to expand and evolve our Board of Directors to broaden our reach and the suite of expertise needed to manage our continued growth.
Our volunteer Board of Directors provides the overall leadership and governance of Yu Ming Charter School, including external accountability, internal oversight, and establishment of the goals and policies of the school.
Yu Ming Charter School is committed to developing a Board that is reflective of the diversity of the community we serve, in addition to having a broad range of relevant skills, expertise and relationships. We are looking to expand the size of our current board from 5 to 7 by bringing on additional members from the community at large (outside of our community of current parents). We are seeking candidates for two-year terms.
The ideal candidates share our passion and vision for public Mandarin immersion education and offer relevant expertise and experience in areas such as education, law, finance, facilities, community outreach, and marketing. Particularly relevant skills for new board members this year include: real estate, education, Chinese language and immersion, community relations, fund development, law, and finance.
The responsibilities of the Board include, but are not limited to:
- Defining or refining the organization’s mission, values and vision;
- Setting strategic direction;
- Adopting policies to ensure that the Charter School is run effectively, legally, and ethically;
- Maintaining accountability for student learning by adopting and monitoring progress towards academic goals;
- Hiring, overseeing, evaluating, and supporting the Charter School’s Principal;
- Monitoring the operational budget and finances for long-term viability; and
- Seeing that adequate funds are secured for the operating and capital needs of the Charter School.
Each member of the Board shares the responsibility for effective board leadership and is expected to attend regularly scheduled board meetings (currently once per month) and participate in committee or other work between meetings. Additional responsibilities and expectations can be found in our Board Responsibilities Summary.
Interested candidates should email email@example.com.