(中文：招生簡章 / Español: Proceso de Inscripción)
The application deadline for academic year 2016-17 has passed.
We have received more applications for enrollment than there are available slots. Therefore, as per our charter, we will conduct a Public Random Drawing to determine the applicants who will be offered enrollment to Yu Ming for the academic year 2016-17.
Details of the Public Random Drawing
- Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 from 6PM to 8PM
- Location: Yu Ming Charter School, 1086 Alcatraz Ave, Oakland, CA 94608
- Attendance at the Drawing is not mandatory and does not affect the chances of your child being offered a slot at Yu Ming.
- During the drawing, applicants for Kindergarten will be randomly selected and assigned to available slots. Once all slots are filled, we will continue to randomly select applicants to generate an ordered waitlist.
- Applicants for First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Grade will be randomly drawn to generate an ordered waitlist.
- We have a few open slots for Sixth Grade and continue to accept new applications for Sixth Grade only.
Please read our Enrollment FAQs which cover many of the questions that we commonly receive through email.
Kindergarten language ability: To achieve our two-way dual immersion model, Yu Ming strives for a 50/50 mix of Mandarin and non-Mandarin speakers in each entering Kindergarten class. Students may enter Kindergarten at Yu Ming with no previous Mandarin exposure or any level of Mandarin proficiency. Entering students who are proficient in Mandarin should indicate this on the application form so that they can be scheduled for a Mandarin Lanaguage Review. Students identified as Mandarin speakers through the Mandarin Language Review process will be eligible for the 50% of slots for Mandarin speakers. Non-Mandarin speakers will be eligible for the 50% of slots for non-Mandarin speakers. All students (Mandarin and non-Mandarin speakers) in the entering Kindergarten class learn together in the same classroom and get the benefits of the dual immersion model.
First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Grade language ability: Students entering above the Kindergarten level will need to have a level of Mandarin proficiency similar to the class they are entering. Before students can be offered a slot in a grade above kindergarten they are assessed for their level of Mandarin proficiency.
- RSVP to attend a school tour and info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Space is limited so please RSVP for each adult who would like to attend through the RSVP links below.
- Download, print and complete the Application Form. Applications must be received at Yu Ming by February 23, 2016 at 4PM.
- For Kindergarten Mandarin speaking applicants: you will be scheduled for a Mandarin Language Review on Saturday, February 27, 2016. Please arrange your schedule to be able to attend the Mandarin Review if you child is a Mandarin speaker.
- Public Random Drawing will be held March 8, 2016 in the evening. Attendance at the Public Random Drawing is not necessary and does not affect your child’s chance of being offered a slot. Results of the drawing will be sent after the drawing.
- If selected in the drawing, your child will be offered a slot for enrollment in the 2016-17 academic year. You will receive a registration packet after the lottery. Registration packets will be mailed out by March 10, 2016.
- Registration Packets due back at Yu Ming by March 18, 2016.
Please download, print and complete the appropriate application. Applications may be mailed to or dropped off at the Yu Ming office. We are not able to except applications by fax or email.
All applications must be received by Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 4PM. Applications received after this deadline will not be included in the Random Public Drawing on March 8, 2016.
Kindergarten application: Download
First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth or Sixth Grade application: Download
School Tours are designed to allow prospective parents to see Yu Ming classrooms in action. Tours are followed by a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions. Because tours involve visiting the actual classroom they are for adults only – please do not bring children to the tours. Unfortuately, we are not able to offer individual tours outside of the below tour schedule.
Information Sessions are also held in the evening (and on a Saturday morning) for prospective parents who cannot attend a tour, but would like to see Yu Ming and find out more about the school. A tour of a classroom is part of the program, but no students or teachers will be present. The Information Session also includes a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions.
PLEASE RSVP to attend a school tour OR an info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Space is limited so please RSVP now:
- School Tour: Thursday, November 12, 2015, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Monday, November 16, 2015, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- Evening Info Session: Thursday, December 10, 2015, 6:30 pm to 8pm: RSVP
- School Tour: Thursday, January 7, 2016, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Monday, January 11, 2016, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- Evening Info Session: Thursday, January 14, 2016, 6:30 pm to 8 pm: RSVP
- School Tour: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- Saturday Morning Info Session: Saturday, January 30, 2016, 10 am to noon: RSVP
- Evening Info Session: Wednesday, February 3, 2016, 6:30 pm to 8pm: RSVP
- School Tour: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
Special Middle School Enrollment Session: Learn more about the upper school program which will begin in 2016-17 with 6th grade:
- Upper School Evening Info Session: Monday, February 1, 2016, 6:30 pm to 8pm: RSVP
- When will enrollment begin for academic year 2016-17? Applications will be available in November 2015. Info sessions and school tours will also begin then. Please sign up for our email list to get all the updates about the school. Details will also be posted here on our website under Enrollment.
- Who can apply for admission? Yu Ming Charter School is open to all residents of California.
- If I live in Alameda County, will my child get preference in the lottery? Yu Ming’s Charter authorizer is the Alameda County Office of Education, so we give preference to residents of Alameda County.
- If I live close to the school, will my child get a preference in the lottery? Yu Ming’s enrollment policy gives preference to applicants who live within the local elementary attendance area of the school. Currently, this is the area in Oakland where the local school your child would attend is Sankofa Academy.
- Is there a fee or tuition to attend Yu Ming? No, as a public charter school, there are no fees to apply and no tuition for attending Yu Ming Charter School.
- Will I need to attend an information session to apply to the school? We strongly recommend attending an info session so you can understand the mission and values of Yu Ming and make sure it will be a good match for your child. However, the info sessions are not mandatory.
- What is the cut off age and date for entering kindergarten? California Department of Education has shifted the Kindergarten cutoff date from December to September. All children entering Kindergarten must be 5 years old by September 1 of the start of the school year.
- Can I still apply for enrollment for academic year 2015-16? Although the main enrollment period for 2015-16 is now over, we do have openings in Fifth Grade. If you are interested in applying for Fifth Grade for 2015-16, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We have no opening in other grades (ie. Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, and Fourth Grade) and we have students on the waitlists for all these grades, so we are not able to accept any applications for these grades.
- I have a child who will enter kindergarten more than one year from now. Is it possible to get them on the waitlist? No. The waitlist is generated each year from the students who apply for the coming academic year. This waitlist remains in effect until the end of that academic year. You should apply in the winter before your child will enter Kindergarten. Please sign up for our email list to get future updates.
- Will Yu Ming be adding higher grades (for students who are currently above Sixth Grade) in the future? Can I enroll my older (above Sixth Grade) student? The current plan is to add only Kindergarten classes each year until we reach full capacity of a K through 8th elementary school in 2018. Currently (academic year 2015-16) we have Kindergarten through Fifth grade classes. Next year these classes will become our First through Sixth Grade classes and we will add new Kindergarten classes.
- I have other questions about enrollment. Can you contact me directly to let me know more details of the enrollment process? We encourage you to attend an information session to have your specific questions answered, and we will be providing all interested families with additional information and updates about the school and enrollment through our email list. The power point presented in the information sessions can be downloaded here. The Yu Ming Enrollment and Public Random Drawing Policy can be downloaded here. Please also subscribe to our email list for more information.
FAQs For Students on the Waitlist for the Current Academic Year
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year (2015-16), do I need to reapply for the 2016-17 academic year? Yes. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year. The current waitlist for academic year 2015-16 will remain in effect through the end of the academic year (June 2016). You must complete the enrollment process for 2016-17 and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in academic year 2016-17. The Public Random Drawing in March 2016 will be used to select students who will be offered slots for academic year 2016-17 and also to generate the waitlist for academic year 2016-17. It is possible for a student to be on both the waitlist for academic year 2015-16 and 2016-17 as they are independent lists.
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year (2015-16), will he/she have a better chance of getting a slot for academic year 2016-17? No. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year and has no bearing on a student’s odds of being offered a slot for another academic year. You must complete the enrollment process for 2016-17 and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in academic year 2016-17 (see #1 above).
- My child is on the current non-Mandarin waitlist. They have been taking Mandarin classes and I would like them to be reassessed for a possible move to the Mandarin waitlist for this academic year. Is that possible? Once the waitlist is generated through the lottery process we cannot move a child to a different waitlist. If we ended up conducting a new enrollment period (eg. because there were not enough students left to fill the designated slots) for the same academic year, you could reapply as a Mandarin speaker. Your child would still need to undergo the Mandarin review process to verify that they are now proficient in Mandarin. They would then be placed in the lottery for the new enrollment period.
- Will slots that open later in the current academic year (2015-16) always be filled at that time or will they be left open until the following academic year? Slots that open by attrition during the current school year (2015-16) may be filled depending upon the timing of the opening and other school related factors. Ultimately the principal will decide if a slot is to be filled at the time of opening or at the start of the following academic year. If a slot is to be filled at the time of the opening, the current waitlist for 2015-16 will be used to fill the slot.
FAQs for Students Currently Enrolled at Yu Ming
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Will their sibling be assured a slot for next year’s kindergarten class? We believe in the importance of trying to keep siblings together at the same school. Therefore, siblings of current students get a preference in the lottery. We expect that all applicants for Kindergarten 2016-17 who have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming will be offered a slot for admission. Please be sure to complete an application for your child and indicate that they have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming.
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Do I need to reapply for next year to keep them at Yu Ming? Children who successfully complete the current year (2015-16) at Yu Ming will be promoted to the next grade level for academic year 2016-17. A new application should not be completed.
Public Random Drawing
If we receive more applications than there are available slots, then as per our charter, we will conduct a Public Random Drawing to determine which applicants will be offered enrollment to Yu Ming for the next academic year. The Public Random Drawing will be held on March 8, 2016.
- During the drawing, applicants will be randomly selected and assigned to available slots for each language group (Mandarin and non-Mandarin)
- By the end of the Random Drawing, all applicants will either be offered an acceptance for the upcoming academic year or placed on a waitlist for their grade
After the Public Random Drawing
- Confirmation of acceptance and registration packets are mailed out by March 10, 2016.
- Accepted applicants must confirm and return their registration form to Yu Ming by March 18, 2016 at 4PM.
- If accepted applicants do not confirm their registration and requirements by the deadline, we will offer the unfilled slots to waitlisted applicants
In accordance with California Assembly Bill 2706, all parents and legal guardians of students enrolling in Yu Ming are encouraged to learn about the availability of health care coverage by visiting www.coveredca.com. For those seeking assistance, please review resources at http://www.coveredca.com/get-help/local/.
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
For information and the most updated dates related to enrollment and other Yu Ming events, please subscribe to our newsletter.
Thank you for your interest in Yu Ming Charter School. Yu Ming is a tuition-free charter school offering K – 8 Mandarin immersion education. Enrollment is open to all students in the state of California.