Enrollment Process (中文：招生簡章)
Our enrollment deadline has passed. A public random drawing was held on Tuesday, March 11 at 6:00pm at Yu Ming. All applicants have been notified whether they were awarded a slot or placed on the waitlist.
Enrollment Information for Kindergarten, First, Second, Third and Fourth Grades for 2014-15
Kindergarten language ability: To achieve our two-way dual immersion model, Yu Ming strives for a 50/50 mix of Mandarin and non-Mandarin speakers in each entering Kindergarten class. Students may enter Kindergarten at Yu Ming with no previous Mandarin exposure or any level of Mandarin proficiency. Entering students who are proficient in Mandarin should indicate this on the application form so that they can be scheduled for a Mandarin Lanaguage Review. Students identified as Mandarin speakers through the Mandarin Language Review process will be eligible for the 50% of slots for Mandarin speakers. Non-Mandarin speakers will be eligible for the 50% of slots for non-Mandarin speakers. All students (Mandarin and non-Mandarin speakers) in the entering Kindergarten class learn together in the same classroom and get the benefits of the dual immersion model.
First, Second, Third and Fourth Grade language ability: Students entering above the Kindergarten level will need to have a level of Mandarin proficiency similar to the class they are entering. Before students can be offered a slot in a grade above kindergarten they are assessed for their level of Mandarin proficiency.
- RSVP to attend a school tour and info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Space is limited so please RSVP for each adult who would like to attend through the RSVP links.
- Download, print and complete the Application Form. Applications must be received at Yu Ming by February 24, 2014 at 4PM.
- For Mandarin speaking applicants: you will be scheduled for a Mandarin Language Review on Saturday, March 1, 2014. Please arrange your schedule to be able to attend the Mandarin Review if you child is a Mandarin speaker.
- Public Random Drawing will be held March 11, 2014 in the evening. Attendance at the Public Random Drawing is not necessary and does not affect your child’s chance of being offered a slot. Results of the drawing will be sent after the drawing.
- If selected in the drawing, your child will be offered a slot for enrollment in the 2014-15 academic year. You will receive a registration packet after the lottery. Registration packets will be mailed out by March 14, 2014.
- Registration Packets due back at Yu Ming by March 21, 2014.
Please download, print and complete the appropriate application. Applications may be mailed or dropped off at the Yu Ming office. All applications must be received by Monday, February 24, 2014 at 4PM. Applications received after this deadline will not be included in the Random Public Drawing on March 11, 2014.
Kindergarten application: Download
First, Second, Third or Fourth Grade application: Download
School Tours are designed to allow prospective parents to see Yu Ming classrooms in action. Tours are followed by a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions. Because tours involve visiting the actual classroom they are for adults only – please do not bring children to the tours. Unfortuately, we are not able to offer individual tours outside of the below tour schedule.
Information Sessions are also held in the evening for prospective parents who cannot attend a tour, but would like to see Yu Ming and find out more about the school. A tour of a classroom is part of the program, but no students or teachers will be present. The Information Session also includes a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions
PLEASE RSVP to attend a school tour and info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Space is limited so please RSVP now:
- School Tour: Thursday, November 14, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Monday, November 18, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Thursday, December 5, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- Evening Info Session: Thurday, December 12, 6:30 pm to 8pm: RSVP
- School Tour: Monday, December 16, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- School Tour: Thursday, January 9, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- Evening Info Session: Wednesday, January 22, 6:30 pm to 8 pm: RSVP
- School Tour: Thursday, January 23, 8:30 am to 10 am: RSVP
- When will enrollment begin for academic year 2014-15? Applications will be available in November 2013. Info sessions and school tours will also begin then. Please sign up for our email list to get all the updates about the school. Details will also be posted here on our website under Enrollment.
- Who can apply for admission? Yu Ming Charter School is open to all residents of California.
- If I live in Alameda County, will my child get preference in the lottery? Yu Ming’s Charter authorizer is the Alameda County Office of Education, so we give preference to residents of Alameda County.
- Is there a fee or tuition to attend Yu Ming? No, as a public charter school, there are no fees to apply and no tuition for attending Yu Ming Charter School.
- Will I need to attend an information session to apply to the school? We strongly recommend attending an info session so you can understand the mission and values of Yu Ming and make sure it will be a good match for your child. However, the info sessions are not mandatory.
- What is the cut off age and date for entering kindergarten? California Department of Education is in the process of gradually shifting the Kindergarten cutoff date from December to September. The date on or before which a child must be 5 years old to enter Kindergarten is as follows:
- Academic year 2014-15: September 1, 2014
- Academic years 2015-16 and beyond: September 1 of the start of the school year
FAQs For Students on the Waitlist for the Current Academic Year
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year (2013-14), do I need to reapply for the 2014-15 academic year? Yes. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year. The current waitlist for academic year 2013-14 will remain in effect through the end of the academic year (June 2014) and be used for any slots which open by attrition during the 2013-14 academic year. You must complete the enrollment process for 2014-15 and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in academic year 2014-15. The Public Random Drawing in March 2015 will be used to select students who will be offered slots for academic year 2014-15 and also to generate the waitlist for academic year 2014-15. It is possible for a student to be on both the waitlist for academic year 2013-14 and 2014-15 as they are independent lists.
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year (2013-14), will he/she have a better chance of getting a slot for academic year 2014-15? No. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year and has no bearing on a student’s odds of being offered a slot for another academic year. You must complete the enrollment process for 2014-15 and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in academic year 2014-15 (see above).
- My child is on the current non-Mandarin waitlist. They have been taking Mandarin classes and I would like them to be reassessed for a possible move to the Mandarin waitlist for this academic year. Is that possible? Once the waitlist is generated through the lottery process we cannot move a child to a different waitlist. If we ended up conducting a new enrollment period (eg. because there were not enough students left to fill the designated slots) for the same academic year, you could reapply as a Mandarin speaker. Your child would still need to undergo the Mandarin review process to verify that they are now proficient in Mandarin. They would then be placed in the lottery for the new enrollment period.
FAQs for Students Currently Enrolled at Yu Ming
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Will their sibling be assured a slot for next year’s kindergarten class? We believe in the importance of trying to keep siblings together at the same school. Therefore, siblings of current students get a preference in the lottery. We expect that all applicants for Kindergarten 2014-15 who have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming will be offered a slot for admission. Please be sure to complete an application for your child and indicate that they have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming.
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Do I need to reapply for next year to keep them at Yu Ming? Children who successfully complete the current year (2013-14) at Yu Ming will be promoted to the next grade level for academic year 2014-15. A new application should not be completed.
Public Random Drawing
If we receive more applications than there are available slots, then as per our charter, we will conduct a Public Random Drawing to determine which applicants will be offered enrollment to Yu Ming for the next academic year.
- During the drawing, applicants will be randomly selected and assigned to available slots for each language group (Mandarin and non-Mandarin)
- By the end of the Random Drawing, all applicants will either be offered an acceptance for the upcoming academic year or placed on a waitlist for their grade
After the Public Random Drawing
- Confirmation of acceptance and registration packets are mailed out by March 14, 2014.
- Accepted applicants must confirm and return their registration form to Yu Ming by March 21, 2014 at 4PM.
- If accepted applicants do not confirm their registration and requirements by the deadline, we will offer the unfilled slots to waitlisted applicants
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
For information and the most updated dates related to enrollment and other Yu Ming events, please subscribe to our newsletter.
Thank you for your interest in Yu Ming Charter School. Yu Ming is a tuition-free charter school offering K – 8 Mandarin immersion education. Enrollment is open to all students in the state of California.