Public charter school in Oakland, CA seeks experienced leaders to serve on its Board of Directors.
Yu Ming Charter School provides an academically rich and challenging environment for children to become bilingual and bi-literate in Chinese and English. The school opened in Fall 2011 with Kindergarten and 1st grade, and is growing one grade each year until it will serve approximately 450 students in grades K-8. The organization is both a 501c3 not-for-profit organization and a public school.
The Board is responsible for establishing broad policies and overseeing high-level decisions that affect the School, including:
- Adopting policies to ensure that the school is run effectively, legally, and ethically;
- Hiring, overseeing, evaluating, and supporting the school Principal;
- Monitoring the operational budget and finances for long-term viability;
- Setting policies and approving documents as required by state or federal law; and
- Seeing that adequate funds are secured for the operating and capital needs of the school.
- Prepare for and attend 12 regular evening board meetings every year, as well as one full-day Board retreat, scheduled committee meetings, and important school events;
- Be available by phone or email as needed; respond to calls and emails in a timely manner; and
- Participate on at least one Board committee.
- Leadership experience with a proven track record of results, ideally in an entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability and inclination to work collaboratively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Commitment to and interest in Mandarin language education in a public school
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
We are especially seeking individuals with any of the following areas of expertise:
- Education program design related to dual-immersion and Mandarin language development
- Real estate acquisition and development, including project financing
In addition, we also need people with experience in:
- Fund-raising for not-for-profit organizations
- Accounting and finance
- Designing, delivering and evaluating an academically rigorous education program, including curriculum, pedagogy, and assessments
- Attracting, developing and retaining educators
For more information: contact Gloria Lee, Board Chair: email@example.com