Enrollment Process for the 2019-2020 Academic Year
Applications Available online at www.enrolloak.org on November 5, 2018
Tour dates Available November 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 8, 2019
Public Random Drawing: March 6, 4pm, 2019
Please read our Enrollment FAQs which cover many of the questions that we commonly receive through email.
- RSVP to attend a school tour and info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Space is limited so please RSVP for each adult who would like to attend through the RSVP links below. Please check back in November of 2018 for the next tour schedule.
- Enroll Online at www.enrolloak.org. Online applications must be submitted by February 8, 2019 at midnight. All applications received after February 8, 2019 will be added to the end of our wait list.
- Public Random Drawing will be held March 6, 2019 at 4pm. Attendance at the Public Random Drawing is not necessary and does not affect your child’s chance of being offered a slot. Results of the drawing will be sent after the drawing and posted to your SchoolMint account.
- Location: Yu Ming Charter School, 1086 Alcatraz Ave, Oakland CA 94608
- If selected in the drawing, your child will be offered a slot for enrollment in the 2019-20 academic year. You will receive a registration packet after the lottery. Registration packets will be mailed out by March 8, 2019.
- Registration Packets due back at Yu Ming by April 2, 2019.
Please enroll online at www.enrolloak.org
All online applications must be received by Friday, February 8. Applications received after this deadline will not be included in the Random Public Drawing on March 6, 2019. All applications received after February 8 will be added to the end of the wait list.
School Tours and Information Sessions
School Tours are designed to allow prospective parents to see Yu Ming classrooms in action. Tours are followed by a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions. Because tours involve visiting the actual classroom they are for adults only – please do not bring children to the tours. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer individual tours outside of the below tour schedule.
Information Sessions are also held in the evening (and on a Saturday morning) for prospective parents who cannot attend a tour but would like to see Yu Ming and find out more about the school. A tour of a classroom is part of the program, but no students or teachers will be present. The Information Session also includes a presentation of the Yu Ming academic program and a question and answer session lead by the principal. Current Yu Ming parents will also available to speak with prospective parents and answer questions.
PLEASE RSVP to attend a school tour OR an info session to get a better understanding of the academic program at Yu Ming (strongly encouraged but not required for admission). Sign-ups :
- 11/14/2018 Wednesday 8:30AM – 10:00AM
- 12/5/2018 Wednesday 6:00PM – 7:30PM
- 1/11/2019 Friday 8:30AM – 10:00AM
- 1/12/2019 Saturday 9:00AM – 10:30AM
- When will enrollment begin for the academic year? Applications will be available on November 5 2018. Info sessions and school tours will also begin then. Please sign up for our email list to get all the updates about the school. Details will also be posted here on our website under Enrollment.
- Who can apply for admission? Yu Ming Charter School is open to all residents of California.
- If I live in Alameda County, will my child get preference in the lottery? Yu Ming’s Charter authorizer is the Alameda County Office of Education, so we give preference to residents of Alameda County.
- Is there a fee or tuition to attend Yu Ming? No, as a public charter school, there are no fees to apply and no tuition for attending Yu Ming Charter School.
- Will I need to attend an information session to apply to the school? We strongly recommend attending an info session so you can understand the mission and values of Yu Ming and make sure it will be a good match for your child. We do not provide tours after the lottery. However, the info sessions are not mandatory.
- What is the cut off age and date for entering kindergarten? California Department of Education has shifted the Kindergarten cutoff date from December to September. All children entering Kindergarten must be 5 years old by September 1 of the start of the school year.
- Can I still apply for enrollment for the academic year? Although the main enrollment period is now over, we are still accepting applications at www.enrolloak.org.
- I have a child who will enter kindergarten more than one year from now. Is it possible to get them on the waitlist? No. The waitlist is generated each year from the students who apply for the coming academic year. This waitlist remains in effect until the end of that academic year. You should apply in the winter before your child will enter Kindergarten. Please sign up for our email list to get future updates.
- I have other questions about enrollment. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Does my child need to know Mandarin already? Students entering Kindergarten do not need to have prior knowledge of Mandarin. Students entering grades 1-8 will need to pass a Mandarin assessment.
FAQs For Students on the Waitlist for the Current Academic Year
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year, do I need to reapply for the academic year? Yes. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year. The current waitlist for the academic year will remain in effect through the end of the academic year (June 2019). You must complete the enrollment process and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in the academic year. The Public Random Drawing in March will be used to select students who will be offered slots for the academic year and also to generate the waitlist for the academic year. It is possible for a student to be on both the waitlist for the academic year and as they are independent lists.
- If my child is on the waitlist for the current academic year, will he/she have a better chance of getting a slot for the academic year? No. The waitlist for each year is specific to that academic year and has no bearing on a student’s odds of being offered a slot for another academic year. You must complete the enrollment process and submit a new application to be eligible for a slot in the academic year (see #1 above).
- Will slots that open later in the current academic year always be filled at that time or will they be left open until the following academic year? Slots that open by attrition during the current school year may be filled depending upon the timing of the opening and other school-related factors. Ultimately the principal will decide if a slot is to be filled at the time of opening or at the start of the following academic year. If a slot is to be filled at the time of the opening, the current waitlist will be used to fill the slot.
FAQs for Students Currently Enrolled at Yu Ming
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Will their sibling be assured a slot for next year’s kindergarten class? We believe in the importance of trying to keep siblings together at the same school. Therefore, siblings of current students get a preference in the lottery. We expect that all applicants for Kindergarten who have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming will be offered a slot for admission. Please be sure to complete an application for your child and indicate that they have a sibling currently enrolled at Yu Ming.
- My child is currently enrolled at Yu Ming. Do I need to reapply for next year to keep them at Yu Ming? Children who successfully complete the current year at Yu Ming will be promoted to the next grade level for the academic year. A new application should not be completed.
Public Random Drawing
If we receive more applications than there are available slots, then as per our charter, we will conduct a Public Random Drawing to determine which applicants will be offered enrollment to Yu Ming for the next academic year. The Public Random Drawing will be held on March 6 at 4PM.
- During the drawing, applicants will be randomly selected and assigned to available slots
- By the end of the Random Drawing, all applicants will either be offered an acceptance for the upcoming academic year or placed on a waitlist for their grade
After the Public Random Drawing
- Confirmation of acceptance and registration packets are mailed out by March 8, 2019.
- Accepted applicants must confirm and return their registration form to Yu Ming by April 2, 2019 at 4PM.
- If accepted applicants do not confirm their registration and requirements by the deadline, we will offer the unfilled slots to waitlisted applicants
In accordance with California Assembly Bill 2706, all parents and legal guardians of students enrolling in Yu Ming are encouraged to learn about the availability of health care coverage by visiting www.coveredca.com. For those seeking assistance, please review resources at http://www.coveredca.com/
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
For information and the most updated dates related to enrollment and other Yu Ming events, please subscribe to our newsletter.
Thank you for your interest in Yu Ming Charter School. Yu Ming is a tuition-free charter school offering K – 8 Mandarin immersion education. Enrollment is open to all students in the state of California.