Information for Yu Ming students and families
Schedules and calendars
- Alcatraz Site (K-2nd Grade): 8:15 am – 3:00 pm (Monday-Thursday)
- MLK Site (Grade 3-8): 8:30 am – 3:15 pm (Monday-Thursday)
- Early Dismissal Days: Alcatraz ends at 1:00 pm and MLK at 1:15 pm
Doors open for drop-off at both sites at 8:00 am.
Here is the 2020-2021 Yu Ming Charter School academic calendar, approved by the Board on December 12, 2019, and revised on July 23, 2020:
Visiting Yu Ming
All visitors to Yu Ming Charter School are required to identify themselves at the front door for entry. When pressing the intercom, please look into the camera and announce who you are and the reason for your visit. Upon entry, please sign-in at the office and wear a visitor badge while on campus.
Before and after school
The Extended Care Program (ECP), focuses on the after school experience and support for our students and parents. It offers an opportunity for Yu Ming scholars to cultivate their creativity and explore a fun filled, interactive program. It provides early drop off and evening pick up times for students at lower and upper school campuses.
Students have the chance to choose from a variety of hands-on, psychomotor, and creative activities in a safe, positive, and lively environment. In addition to homework support (in English and Chinese), students are given time to participate in activities such as gardening, cooking, ceramics, dance, musical expression, and seasonal sports (i.e. basketball, flag football, and track & field).
- Parents will be notified of the opening of online registration for the Extended Care Program. Registration is for one semester at a time (August through December, and January through June).
- Families who qualify for free or reduced lunch can contact Yu Ming for more information on how to apply for reduced fees at 510-452-2063 or email@example.com.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on registration fees.
- The sign-ups for drop-in open on Friday at 6pm the week before, and drop-in seats will be limited to 3 per grade on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The cost is $21 Monday-Thursday and $35 Friday. The late pick-up fee is $15 per 15 minutes.
- If a student is not picked up on time at school or After Care dismissal or at the end of the after school activity the student is pre-registered for (e.g. enrichment classes, Boost, choir, etc), a late fee of $15 per every 15 minutes will be charged.
Extended Care Schedule and Hours
- 7:15-7:45am (Alcatraz)
- 7:30-8:00am (MLK)
- 3:00-6:00pm/1:00-6:00pm (Alcatraz)
- 3:15-6:00pm/1:15-6:00pm (MLK)
There is no childcare during school holidays or on the last day of the school year.
Early Dismissal “Gap” Care
Early dismissal care will be offered on early release days, which is every Friday and on parent/teacher conference days. This supervised care is provided from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. Contact email@example.com for more information on registration and fees.
Phone: 510-452-2063 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
After School Enrichment Programs
To supplement the After School program, Yu Ming is also proud to host a variety of enrichment programs onsite. These programs are offered by third parties at an additional cost. Enrichment classes usually run 3:10-4:10pm Mondays – Thursdays, and 1:10-2:10 pm Fridays. Parents may still need to sign up for Yu Ming ECP if you need care after the enrichment classes end. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Other key information for families and students
The Family Handbook contains important information for Yu Ming families, such as school policies.