Information for Yu Ming students and families
Schedules and calendars
- Alcatraz Site (K-2nd Grade): 8:15 am – 3:00 pm (Monday-Thursday)
- MLK Site (Grade 3-8): 8:30 am – 3:15 pm (Monday-Thursday)
- Early Dismissal Days: Alcatraz ends at 1:00 pm and MLK at 1:15 pm
Our doors open for drop-off at both sites at 8:00 am.
The Yu Ming Charter School Academic calendar is available in PDF form:
Visiting Yu Ming
All visitors to Yu Ming Charter School are required to identify themselves at the front door for entry. When pressing the intercom, please look into the camera and announce who you are and the reason for your visit. Upon entry, please sign-in at the office and wear a visitor badge while on campus.
Before and after school
The Extended Care Program (ECP), focuses on the after school experience and support for our students and parents. It offers an opportunity for Yu Ming scholars to cultivate their creativity and explore a fun filled, interactive program. It provides early drop off and evening pick up times for students at lower and upper school campuses.
Students have the chance to choose from a variety of hands-on, psychomotor, and creative activities in a safe, positive, and lively environment. In addition to homework support (in English and Chinese), students are given time to participate in activities such as gardening, cooking, ceramics, dance, musical expression, and seasonal sports (i.e. basketball, flag football, and track & field).
- Parents will be notified of the opening of online registration for the Extended Care Program. Registration is for one semester at a time (August through December, and January through June).
- Families who qualify for free or reduced lunch can contact Yu Ming for more information on how to apply for reduced fees at 510-452-2063 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact email@example.com for more information on registration fees.
- The sign-ups for drop-in open on Friday at 6pm the week before. The deadline to sign up for an individual day of drop-in is 12pm on the same day that care is needed for M-Th after care, and 10am on Fridays for Friday after care.
- The cost is $20 Monday-Thursday and $30 Friday. The late pick-up fee or emergency drop-in care is $15 per hour. Late pick-up past 6pm (end of program) is $15 per every 15 minutes.
Extended Care Schedule and Hours
- 7:15-7:45am (Alcatraz)
- 7:30-8:00am (MLK)
- 3:00-6:00pm/1:00-6:00pm (Alcatraz)
- 3:15-6:00pm/1:15-6:00pm (MLK)
There is no childcare during school holidays or on the last day of the school year.
Early Dismissal “Gap” Care
Early dismissal care will be offered on early release days, which is every Friday and on parent/teacher conference days. This supervised care is provided from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on registration and fees.
Phone: 510-452-2063 | Email: email@example.com
After School Enrichment Programs
To supplement the After School program, Yu Ming is also proud to host a variety of enrichment programs onsite. These programs are offered by third parties at an additional cost. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Other key information for families and students
The Family Handbook contains important information for Yu Ming families, such as school policies.